Home | Special Events | Weddings & Engagements | Little Ones | Seniors | Email Us

Welcome to the Expressions Blog by Rachel O...We LOVE it when you leave Comments on our posts!

Friday, July 23, 2010

She was the Best!


Twelve years ago, Ryan and I brought home these two puppies from the shelter. We had already chosen Maggie on the left, who was a polka dotted little puff ball, when we noticed this puppy that was a few months older with the sweetest face and we just had to take her for a walk. When you walked she would walk, when you stopped she would sit by your feet. Still to this day I wonder how someone could have left Sable (on the right) there, and needless to say we could not leave her there any longer.
These two, who we have always referred to as "The Girls" were just like sisters. They could not be more different, yet they have always gotten along like it was meant to be!
Today was a very sad day at the O'Shaughnessy house because Sable, one of the "Old Ladies" as we have come to affectionately call them, has passed on. I know as a "pet parent" you are supposed to love them all equally, but I selfishly have to admit that Sable has always held a most special place in my heart. I don't think that there will ever, in my opinion, be a more perfect dog.
Sable was an old soul from day one. The most kind, patient, accepting, loving animal that I have ever encountered. She did not bark, really, did not bark. You could get her revved up about getting ready to eat, by asking...Sable are you hungry???...and even then she would just "talk to you". She was not a licker either, which I love, because even the being the animal lover that I am...gotta say I am not a big slobber fan. She has never been a fan of the camera, and now in her upper years and with her "summer shave" this image does not do her justice, but she is a most beautiful girl with a great doggy smile, and a tail that used to wag in cirlces when she was most happy!! She loved everyone she met, and I can honestly say I think that affect was always returned....you just could not help but love her.
I am hoping as I sit here and remember her that now she no longer feels the effects of the lung cancer that made her life shorter than we all would have liked, and she is now running and chasing squirrels (thought she would not have a clue what to do if she caught one), and rolling on her back in the grass like she loves. She leaves such a large void at our house. An animal with such a sweet nature is not replaceable. I can't hardly even bring myself to sweep up the last few tufts of fur, that I always used to grumble about. You just always think you have one more day. I just hope now that we loved her enough, and she knew how much she meant to us.
We will miss and love you forever and a day, our beautiful girl, Miss Sable.

1 comment:

happystephanie6 said...

I am so sorry for your loss! Thinking of your family during this difficult time.